Chodroff and Clemence fastest at Valley of the Sun Opener
Jonathan Chodroff (OUCH p/b Maxxis) blazed a 28:57 and Ruth Clemence (Simple Green) posted a 33:28 to take their respective leaders jerseys in the first stage of Arizona's Valley of the Sun stage race.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
By Ophir Sefiha
Jonathan Chodroff (OUCH p/b Maxxis) blazed a 28:57 and Ruth Clemence (Simple Green) posted a 33:28 to take their respective leaders jerseys in the first stage of Arizona’s Valley of the Sun stage race.
The fast, flat 22.5km individual time trial frequently sees the top ten riders packed within minute of the winning time. However on this occasion only last year’s winner Ben Kneller (Ciclismo Racing) and Bissell’s Graham Howard were able to stay within a minute of the on-form Chodroff. In just his second ride on the team’s new Kuota time trial machines, Chodroff was pleased with the result and despite having only three teammates Chodroff was confident going into tomorrow’s road race. “We’ll do what we can. Roman’s (Kilun) in fourth and Bobby’s (Lea) in 15th so we have other cards to play.”
Bissell will be looking to take advantage of their strength in numbers with six riders including Graham Howard sitting in third place just 58 seconds back.
Stage 1, Town of Buckeye Time Trial, 22.5km
Winner: Jonathan Chodroff (OUCH p/b Maxxis)
Ten riders are within 1:30 of the leader’s jersey.
Peloton: 96 riders head into Saturday’s 89 mile road race.
No KOM points offered in the time trial
Women’s Pro, 1, 2
Winner: Ruth Clemence (Simple Green)
Eight riders are within 1:00 of the leaders jersey
Peloton: 66 riders head into Saturday’s 57 mile road race.
No QOM points offered in the time trial.
Southern Californian Ruth Clemence (Simple Green) has much closer company with eight riders within a minute of her winning time. Amanda Miller (Lip Smacker) lies second just 14 seconds back and Moriah Macgregor (Team BC) rounds out the podium 20 seconds in arrears. Asked about her strategy for tomorrow’s stage, Clemence said, “I only have one teammate but I’m used to racing with not a lot of teammates, so I’ll just have to watch dangerous breaks and hope I go with the right one.”
Saturday brings the Landis Cyclery Road Race near Casa Grande. Elite men will race 89 miles on the rolling, 16-mile circuit; the women race 57 miles.
Stage 1 – Men
1. Jonathan Chodroff Ouch P/b Maxxis
2. Ben Kneller Ciclismo Racing at 0:00:45
3. Graham Howard Bissell Pro Cycling at 00:58
4. Roman Kilun Ouch P/b Maxxis at 01:08
5. Ronald Jensen Rideclean at 01:09
6. Paul Thomas Rideclean at 01:20
7. Shawn Rosenthal Zteam at 01:20
8. Scott Tietzel Dlp Pro Cycling Team at 01:21
9. Michael Mathis Crca/empire Cycling Team at 01:23
10. Daniel Zmolik Crca/empire Cycling Team at 01:29
Stage 1 – Women
1. Ruth Clemence Simple Green at 0
2. Amanda Miller Team Lip Smacker
3. Moriah Macgregor Team Bc at 0:00:20
4. Melissa Mcwhirter Veloforma/zym at 0:00:28
5. Heather Sborz Specialized D4w/bicycle Haus at 0:00:36
6. Briana Kovac Team Revolution at 0:00:52
7. Clouse Terrie Colobikelaw.com at :00:55
8. Catherine Dickson Metro Phx Bank/lifelock/tribe at 0:00:59
9. Susannah Gordon Colobikelaw.com at 0:01:19
10. Sabrina Savage Veloforma/zym at 0:01:23