Janel Holcomb wins women’s race at 2011 Sunny King Criterium
Colavita-Forno d’Asolo dominated the women’s race at Saturday’s Sunny King Criterium in Anniston, Alabama.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Andrea Dvorak went early in the NRC race, and when she got caught teammate Janel Holcomb took off. She built a gap of more than 50 seconds and crossed the line alone.
Behind Holcomb, it was a race for second place — a battle that went to Samantha Schneider (Tibco-To the Top) with Kelly Benjamin (Colavita) third.
“I had an opportunity … and I just went for it,” said Holcomb. “We wanted to be aggressive. Andrea took the bull from the horns and got it going right from the gun. I’m really excited.”
- 1. Janel Holcomb , Colavita / Forno D’asolo, at 28:49.8
- 2. Samantha Schneider , Uci: Wpt Tibco To The Top, at 29:18.2
- 3. Kelly Benjamin , Colavita / Forno D’asolo, at 29:18.5
- 4. Christina Gokey-Smith, at 29:18.7
- 5. Laura Van Gilder, at 29:19.0