Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
American junior Zach McDonald finished second to Dutch rider Corné Van Kessel on Thursday in the GP Sven Nys in Baal, Belgium.
McDonald crossed 14 seconds behind Van Kessel to take the runner-up spot with Belgian Sean De Bie (Kon. Balen B.C. V.Z.W.) third at 0:21.
In the elite men’s race, Nys (Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) won in 57:51, nine seconds up on Czech Zdenek Stybar (Fidea) with Belgian Niels Albert (BKCP-Powerplus) third at 0:25.
In the under-23 race it was German Philipp Walsleben (BKCP-Powerplus) taking the win ahead of Belgian Vincent Baestaens (Fidea) with Czech Lubomír Petruš (Cempella Czech Team) third.
GP Sven Nys
Baal, Belgium. January 1
1. Sven Nys (B), Landbouwkrediet-Colnago, 57.51
2. Zdenek Stybar (Cze), Fidea Cycling Team, at 0:09
3. Niels Albert (B), BKCP-Powerplus, at 0:25
4. Radomir Simunek (Cze), BKCP-Powerplus, same time
5. Sven Vanthourenhout (B), Sunweb Projob, s.t.
1. Philipp Walsleben (G), BKCP-Powerplus
2. Vincent Baestaens (B), Fidea Cycling Team
3. Lubomír Petruš (Cze), Empella Czech Team
4. Jan Denuwelaere (B), Rendementhypo Cycling Team
5. Mitchell Huenders (Ned), AA Drinks Cycling Team
1. Corné Van Kessel (Ned), 39.55
2. Zach McDonald (USA), at 0:14
3. Sean De Bie (B), Kon. Balen B.C. V.Z.W., at 0:21
4. Vinnie Braet (B), Cyclingteam Oost-West, at 0:28
5. Gianni Vermeersch (B), Mez Team Belgium, at 0:37