Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Aug 08, 2014 – Rafal Majka won on his home Tour of Poland for the second day running on Friday, triumphing on the sixth stage to seize the overall race lead from Czech rider Petr Vakoc.
Just as he had on Thursday, Majka once again pipped Spanish duo Benat Intxausti and Ion Izaguirre to win the 174km ride around the Polish ski resort of Bukowina Tatrzanska. However, the climbing specialist Majka will face a tough task to hold onto his lead when the seven-stage race concludes on Saturday with an individual time trial in Krakow.
“Today the guys really worked well for me and I want to thank them. The last two laps we went really fast to try and tire out the other teams. In the last lap, on the very steep climb at about 13 km from the finish line I accelerated but I didn’t attack all the way. I stayed in control and in the last climb I put it all out there and attacked full gas. The gap between me and the other contenders for the GC isn’t much. Izaguirre and Intxausti are two excellent time trialists but we’ll see. However it goes I am very happy with this Tour de Pologne. I won two stages and tomorrow I’ll give it all I’ve got to capture the general classification for me, my team and the crowds, which have been fantastic. But if I can’t do it it won’t be all that bad. I’m already really pleased with what I’ve done these last few weeks. Today at about one kilometer from the finish line I could hear the crowds shouting my name. It was incredible, it gave me goose bumps. I’m also happy for them and I’d like to thank the Polish public for their overwhelming support.”
In the other classifications the blue Lotto jersey for the most active rider remains on Matthias Krizek (Cannondale) and the white-red Lang Team for the points classification stays with Yauheni Hutarovich (Ag2r). In the team classifications Movistar is still in the lead.
Results of the Tour of Poland sixth stage: 174km to Bukowina Tatrzanska.
1. Rafal Majka (POL/TCS) 4hr 40min 58sec
2. Benat Intxausti (ESP/MOV) at 10sec
3. Ion Izaguirre (ESP/MOV) same time
4. Christophe Riblon (FRA/ALM) 19
5. Przemyslaw Niemiec (POL/LAM) 20
6. Wouter Poels (NED/OPQ) s.t.
7. Warren Barguil (FRA/GIA) s.t.
8. Robert Gesink (NED/BEL) s.t.
9.Giampaolo Caruso (ITA/KAT) s.t.
10. Gianluca Brambilla (ITA/OPQ) 26.
1. Rafal Majka (POL/TCS) 29hr 46min 17sec
2. Benat Intxausti (ESP/MOV) at 18 sec
3. Ion Izaguirre (ESP/MOV) 22
4. Christophe Riblon (FRA/ALM) 39
5. Giampaolo Caruso (ITA/KAT) 40
6. Robert Gesink (NED/BEL) same time
7.Warren Barguil (FRA/GIA) s.t.
8. Przemyslaw Niemiec (POL/LAM) s.t.
9. Gianluca Brambilla (ITA/OPQ) 46
10. Marek Rutkiewicz (POL/CCC) 47