Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
By Agence France Presse
Italian rider Stefano Casagranda is set to sue the organizers of the Tour de France, accusing them of depriving him of his right to work when they threw him out of the race earlier this week.
The 31-year-old told Gazzetta dello Sport that he would be meeting with his lawyer over the next few days to build his case against the organizers, who ejected him and Slovenian cyclist Martin Hvastija on Monday because they are implicated in a doping case in Italy.
“The organizers deprived me of my right to work,” the Saeco cyclist, who was a lowly 155th when he was expelled, told the newspaper.
Tour director Jean-Marie Leblanc had explained his reasons on Monday for taking the decision to throw them out.
“We’ve received information from the fraud squad in Padua informing us that cyclists Martin Hvastija and Stefano Casagranda are under judicial investigation in Italy for doping,” he said.
“We’ve passed on the information to the sporting directors of the teams concerned, Bruno Cenghialta (Alessio) and Giuseppe Martinelli (Saeco), and told them that these two riders are no longer welcome.”
Leblanc had already taken similar action with Italian cyclist Danilo Di Luca prior to the Tour starting.