Schultz and Gould win Subaru Cup Pro XCT 4
Slideshow: Sam Schultz notches his first elite-level cross-country win at the Subaru Cup in Wisconsin while Georgia Gould keeps up her dominating ways.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
[album id=40 template=extend]
Sam Schultz rode to a surprising victory in the fourth stop of the Pro XCT series at the Subaru Cup in Wisconsin on Saturday, while Georgia Gould posted yet another dominating win.
The win for the former U-23 national champ Schultz (Subaru-Trek) is his first at the elite level. Schultz is now 25.
The race at Nordic Mountain outside Wautoma, Wisconsin offered a taste of Midwest mountain biking, with wooded singletrack, fast descents and short, steep climbs. Schultz posted a time of 1:48:36 on an approximately 4 mile-course. That was 16 seconds ahead of Max Plaxton (Sho-Air/Specialized), who won the Mellow Johnny’s Classic Pro XCT 3 over the Memorial Day weekend. Todd Wells, who won the Fontana Classic Pro XCT 1, was 18 seconds off the lead.
Geoff Kabush, the overall leader of the Pro XCT going into Saturday’s Subaru Cup, did not race. He’s racing in the BC Bike Race as part of a mixed team with women’s powerhouse Catharine Pendrel.
Gould (Luna Pro Team), meanwhile, rode to an almost two minute victory over second, stopping the clock at 1:41:53. Teammates Willow Koerber and Heather Irmiger (Subaru-Trek) crossed at 1:43:49 and 1:45:54 respectively.
Gould is on a roll in the Pro XCT, winning the second stop in the series at the Sea Otter Classic. She also won the third stop at the Mellow Johnny’s Classic on Lance Armstrong’s Texas ranch. She also stood on the podium at World Cup 3 in Offenburg Germany last month.
The final and deciding stop on the 2010 Pro XCT is July 9-11 at the Carmichael Training Systems International Classic in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
The Subaru Cup served as the first USA Cycling Midwest Regional Championships, which crowned champions in all age categories and ability levels. The Subaru Cup is part of the Wisconsin Offroad Series, which is ow in its 19th season. WORS is America’s largest state mountain bike racing series. The series has an average attendance of over 650 racers for each of the 12 WORS races held throughout Wisconsin.
Pro Men Top 10 (full results)
1. Sam Schultz (Subaru-Trek) 1:48:36
2. Max Plaxton (Sho-Air/Specialized) 1:48:52
3. Todd Wells (Specialized) 1:48:55
4. Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (Subaru-Trek) 1:48:58
5. Derek Zandstra (3 Rox Racing) 1:49:43
6. Carl Decker (Giant Factory Racing) 1:51:03
7. Adam Craig (RaboBank-Giant) 1:51:44
8. Ryan Woodall 1:52:07
9. Ryan Trebon (Kona) 1:52:50
10. Sid Taberlay (Sho-Air-Specialized) 1:54:53
Pro Women Top 10 (full results)
1. Georgia Gould (Luna Pro Team) 1:41:53
2. Willow Koerber (Subaru-Trek) 1:43:49
3. Heather Irmiger (Subaru-Trek) 1:45:54
4. Amanda Sin (3 Rox Racing) 1:46:33
5. Katie Compton (Planet Bike-Stevens) 1:49:02
6. Kelli Emmett (Giant Factory Racing) 1:49:29
7. Aleksandra Mooradian 1:49:51
8. Jenna Rinehart 1:50:10
9. Chloe Forsman 1:51:30
10. Anina Aaron 1:52:28