Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The Tour of Missouri is a go.
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon on Tuesday rejected a state Department of Economic Development recommendation to pull $1.5 million in funding for the race. Last week the race’s promoter said that if the money were pulled, the race would have to be canceled.
“Even as my administration continues to tighten its belt, I believe that the 2009 Tour of Missouri should go forward,” Nixon said in a statement. “The race will go on this year.”
Nixon called for a more transparent accounting of how the money is spent, however.
“Missourians deserve to know that state funds for the event are used transparently and accountably … I asked the Office of Administration to seek a full and fair explanation of all expenditures connected with the Tour of Missouri in 2007 and 2008, and of budgeted expenditures and contracts for 2009.”
The race is Sept. 7-13, starting in St. Louis and moving west to finish near Kansas City.