Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Loren Rowney and Patrick Bevin won the first road stage of the National Racing Calendar Friday, taking out stage 1 of the Redlands Bicycle Classic in California.
Bevin (Bissell), already a winner of the Merco Classic this year, beat out Freddie Rodriguez (Exergy) and Sean Sullivan (Elbowz Racing) in the Beaumont Circuit Race east of Los Angeles. Phil Gaimon’s Kenda-5-hour Energy squad fought off a flurry of dangerous attacks in the closing laps from riders including defending champion Francisco Mancebo (Competitive Cyclist). Gaimon maintained his lead over Julian Kyer (Juwi Solar) in the general classification.
Rowney (Specialized-lululemon) won the women’s race over Joelle Numainville (Optum) and Joanie Caron (Cynergy Cycles-Missing Link). Overnight leader Megan Guarnier (Tibco-To The Top) finished fifth, behind Kristin McGrath (Exergy Twenty12), and picked up intermediate time bonuses to extend her overall lead over Amber Neben (Specialized) and Alison Powers (NOW-Novartis).
The Redlands Classic continues Saturday with a downtown criterium.
Men Brief Results
1. Patrick Bevin, Bissell
2. Fred Rodriguez, Exergy
3. Sean Sullivan, Elbowz Racing
1. Phil Gaimon, Kenda-5-hour Energy
2. Julian Kyer, Juwi Solar at :03
3. Morgan Schmitt, Exergy at :06
Women Brief Results
1. Loren Rowney, Specialized-lululemon
2. Joelle Numainville, Optum
3. Joanie Caron, Cynergy Cycles-Missing Link
4. Kristin McGrath, Exergy Twenty12
5. Megan Guarnier, Tibco-To The Top
1. Megan Guarnier, Tibco-To The Top
2. Amber Neben, Specialized-lululemon at :10
3. Alison Powers, NOW-Novartis at :11