Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Tim Johnson (Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) made it two in a row on Sunday at round two of the Green Mountain Cyclocross weekend in Williston, Vermont.
Meanwhile, Andrea Smith took her first UCI win at Green Mountain — and the Verge New England Championship Cyclocross Series leader’s jersey to go along with it — after leading a Ladies First sweep at round two of the series.
The elite men’s race was almost a carbon copy of Saturday’s race, with Johnson taking an early lead and holding it the whole day. But the chase was more dynamic with a strong trio of racers working to bring him back.
Luca Damiani (El Gato CX-Podium Cycling) once again was on the hunt, joined by Justin Lindine (Bikereg.com-Cannondale) and Justin Spinelli (Richard Sachs-RGM Watches-Radix). As on Saturday, Damiani was the strongest of the three and came through second after dropping his companions on the last lap.
Lindine took third while Spinelli crossed fourth.
The sprint for fifth place determined Sunday’s U-23 winner — Luke Keough (Champion Systems-Keough Cyclocross) held off Jerome Townsend (Bikereg.com-Joe’s Garage-Scott) with Jesse Keough (Champion Systems-Keough Cyclocross) third.
Ladies First owned the elite women’s race with Smith taking a solo victory and teammates Ann D’Ambruoso and Christina Tamilio finishing second and third. Yet another Ladies First racer, Saturday’s runner-up, Crystal Anthony, took fourth place.
For Smith, the victory was sweet, but her team’s showing was even more important. “Today was three years in the making,” said Smith, referring to the team’s beginnings as several women related to Landry’s Bicycles, members of Minuteman Road Club and coached by Larry Felton.
Rounds three and four of the Verge series will be the Downeast Cyclocross October 23-24 in New Gloucester, Maine.
- 1. Timothy Johnson, Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com, 59:03
- 2. Luca Damiani, Colavita Sutter Home-Cooking Light, 1:00:03
- 3. Justin Lindine, Bikereg.com-Cannondale, 1:00:06
- 4. Justin Spinelli, Richard Sachs-RGM Watches-Radix, 1:01:14
- 5. Luke Keough, Champion Systems-Keough Cyclocross, 1:01:51
- 1. Andrea Smith, Ladies First Racing, 39:14
- 2. Ann D’ambruoso, Ladies First Racing, 39:29
- 3. Christina Tamilio, Ladies First Racing, 39:29
- 4. Crystal Anthony, Ladies First Racing, 39:29
- 5. Sara Bresnick-Zocchi, Crossresults.com-Pedalpowercoaching.com, in 0:40:17