Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Milan-San Remo gets new start location
The start of Milan-San Remo will no longer be in Milan this year with organizers announcing a move to Abbiategrasso on the outskirts of the city.
The switch will mean a new route for the first 30 kilometers, but the race will soon join the traditional parcours in Pavia. The Passo del Turchino will be the first climb of the day, midway through the race, with the Capi, the Cipressa, and the Poggio setting up the finale.
Matej Mohorič is the defending champion after the Slovenian attacked on the descent of the Poggio at last year’s race.
Sold-out Crusher in the Tushar releases 100 spots for women
Crusher in the Tushar, the beloved gravel event in Beaver, Utah, has released 100 additional entry spots for women.
The event sold out last week, but women who missed out now have the opportunity to register for the July 8 gravel race.
Founded in 2011, Crusher in the Tushar is a 69-mile race with over 10,000 feet of climbing.
Iljo Keisse debuts as sport director
Iljo Keisse didn’t stay away from pro racing very long. After retiring this winter from his long racing career, the Belgian debuted as a sport director with Soudal Quick-Step at the Mallorca Challenge.
“I learned a lot and made a few mistakes, but I think it’s normal in the beginning,” Keisse said. “I experienced both driving the race car and guiding the riders and speaking in the car. At this moment I think driving is more stressful.”
Keisse will work next at the Volta ao Algarve and then be the third director at the spring classics.
“The first days at the training camp I had already made the switch in my mind,” he said. “In Mallorca, I really felt like a sports director, as before I still sometimes thought as a rider.
“My bond with the riders is different now. I feel something has changed, which is normal in the end. As a rider, I also looked differently to sports directors than I do now.”
GW Shimano-Sidermec confirms 16 riders
Gianni Savio confirmed the lineup for his new GW Shimano Sidermec team with 16 riders for 2023.
The squad will race at the third-tier Continental level after the exit of last year’s sponsor Drone Hopper.
“Marco Bellini and I managed to finish last season after the serious damage caused by the non-payments of the Drone Hopper,” Savio said. “We were able to restart with a combination I am particularly pleased with, due to my personal bond with Colombia, a nation that in the past gave me great satisfaction. A combination based on a ‘youth project’ that started successfully at the Vuelta Tachira.”
Lineup for 2023:
Miguel Eduardo Florez (Colombia)
Jonathan Restrepo (Colombia)
Didier Merchan (Colombia)
Alejandro Osorio Carvajal (Colombia)
Abner Santiago Umba López (Colombia)
German Darío Gomez (Colombia)
Édgar Andrés Pinzón (Colombia)
Jonathan Guatibonza (Colombia)
William Colorado (Colombia)
Andres Mancipe (Colombia)
Diego Pescador (Colombia)
Brandon Rojas (Colombia)
Jeferson Armando Ruiz (Colombia)
Gabriele Benedetti (Italy)
Alessandro Bisolti (Italy)
Trym Holther (Norway)